Thursday, December 6, 2012

Our First Balloon Release

We weren't able to do the balloon release for Hope's birthday on her birthday, but we were able to the day after. We've decided that for the foreseeable future, we'll release one balloon for every year on her birthday.

I've known for awhile that I wanted to do a balloon release for Hope's birthday, and somewhat understood the reason behind a balloon release as a memorial, but never really put much thought into beyond that. I just knew I liked the idea and wanted to do it as another way to "celebrate" Hope's birthday. I had no idea of the impact it would have on me. As I mentioned in my last post, I was somewhat in denial on Hope's birthday, so this being the day after, it all seemed so much more real for me.

We had gotten 3 other balloons (two pink and one "Happy Birthday" Mylar balloon) to leave at Hope's grave, but as we were getting out of the car the wind caught one of the pink ones and it was gone. That's when it really hit me. Just like that balloon, my daughter was gone and there was nothing we could do to bring her back. So instead, we do little things here and there to remember her and to feel like we're close to her. Releasing balloons is one of those things.

 Hope's Balloon


Maybe Hope can see them up in Heaven. I like to think she can.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment